Our 2nd annual Elemental Festival features innovative, contemporary site-specific and land-based works: installation, performance, music and writing. And it's just in time for you to catch the salmon running: Sep 29 to Oct 2nd.
In addition to 4e staff and volunteers, the 2015 Festival is brought to you by the township of Billings, whom we thank for their support including volunteers from the Recreation Committee, billeting, and discounts on rentals.
Festival activities feature local artists including Judy Martin, Lisa Hamalainen, Elisha Sidlar, Jamie Ward and members of the Kagawong Folk Roots Collective. Visiting artists include Marlene Creates, Chris Turnball, Judy Bowyer, Matt Ceolin, writer Madhur Anand. To find out more about each of these artists, sign up for our newsletter. In the weeks leading up to the festival, we'll be featuring each of the artists so that you can get to know their work.
This year's main events include:
- Art exhibition of community fieldbooks from The Fieldbook Project.
- Festival Opening: Announcement of Elemental Festival Writing Prize; reading by Madhur Anand followed by a site specific performance work by Lisa Hamalainen and guests.
- An evening of Music with Jamie Ward performing an intimate acoustic set along with members from the Folk Roots Collective and piano maverick Craig Harley.
- Workshops including:
- Kids Sculptural installation workshop with Chris Turnbull.
- Adult writing workshop with Chris Turnbull
- Writing workshop with Madhur Anand.
- Memory Mapping and Walking Mapping workshops with Marlene Creates
- Plant Walk with local expert Joe Pitawanakwat
- Natural Dyeing with Nicole Varney
- Walking Mandala, with Heather Thoma
- Artist-led tours along the river with all the visiting artists.
- Community Discussion and Panel discussion on Walking methodologies in art; walking and social change.
- Performance and Artist Talk with Elisha Sidlar
Follow our facebook page to stay completely up to date, and for fuller descriptions fb/ www.facebook.com/4eelementalfestival/events or www.4elementslivingarts.org/events To register for a workshop call 705-282-0444!
This year’s curatorial theme is ‘Walking’. Despite its typically spontaneous, occasionally reflexive, and sometimes somnambulatory nature, walking is a complex action. It can be both physical and performative; a deeply personal and a political act that claims and carves out space emotionally, politically, socially and culturally. We follow routes, sometimes newly created recreational trails, sometimes traditional trading routes or harvesting paths whose origins have been erased through colonial territorialization. Paths aren’t always human-made.
For Elemental Festival, we have invited works that propose to examine a complex range of socio-cultural, and geo-political paths; that consider the legacy of walking with a particular focus on walking in the context of our specific rural and ecologically sensitive site.
Hope to see you there!
This festival is supported by: